A dream team of Shao-chia LÜ and LIN Hwai-min
Representing Puccini's classic in traditional Chinese format of one table and two chairs
Annual opera production to shake the entire Taiwan!
Tosca, Puccini’s greatest masterpiece, has been one of the global audience’s favorites over a century. After the NSO’s 2002 collaboration with LIN Hwaimin on Tosca, in 2019 NSO led by Shao-chia LÜ will join hands with LIN again to bring it back for three performances in National Concert Hall, Taipei. This production will continue its journey to Zhongli and Pingtung in the form of “mobile opera”.
With minimal stage design, Tosca’s Italian realism will be represented in the traditional Peking Opera format of “one table and two chairs”. The focus will be redirected from stage setting to performance, and from text to music. NSO intends to bring music lovers to enjoy opera through pure musical experience.
Music Director │ Shao-chia LÜ
“(Shao-chia LÜ) bietet der Klangkörper in der Philharmonie ein Bild erstrebter Makellosigkeit.” [(Shao-chia LÜ) led the orchestra to present a nearly perfect performance at the Berliner Philharmonie.] -- Der Tagesspiegel
Director │ LIN Hwai-min
Founder of Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan, LIN Hwaimin is an internationally acclaimed choreographer. Among the honors he has received are the Chevalier des Arts et des Letters and the Samuel H. Scripts / American Dance Festival Award for Lifetime Achievement, the “Nobel Prize for modern dance”.
- Conductor │ Shao-Chia LÜ
- Director │ LIN Hwai-min
- Assistant Director │ Calvin WANG
- Costume & Style Design │ Jing-Ru LIN
- Lighting Design │ Kevin LEE
- Vocal Coach │ Martin Andersson
- Tosca │ Hanying TSO-PETANAJ（2/22, 24）, Ling-Hui LIN（2/23）
- Scarpia │ Lucio Gallo（2/22, 24）, Martin NG（2/23）
- Cavaradossi │ Ho-Yoon CHUNG（2/22, 24）, Ezio KONG（2/23）
- Angelotti & Jailer │ Julian LO
- Sacristan & Sciarrone │ Fang-Hao CHAO
- Spoletta │ Fa-Kai TANG
- Chorus Master │ YuChung John KU, SzuYun Swing HSIEH, ShihLing Hsiung
- Taipei Philharmonic Chorus
- Taipei Philharmonic Children’s Chorus
- National Symphony Orchestra
- National Taiwan College of Performing Arts
- Duration: approx. 160 minutes with intermission.
- Performed in Italian with Chinese and English Subtitles.
- Pre-talk: 30 minutes before every performance at the lobby ofNational Concert Hall.