A day-to-day chorus of people in the kingdom of diseases
The collage of images in the era of post-cocktail therapy
The most talked-about work by CHIEN Li-ying and Tora HSU returns to National Theater!
The story begins with the launch of a documentary film about Ma Mi. Based on Ma Mi’s diary, the filmmaker tries to explore the reasons behind the closure of “Ma Mi’s Home,” a shelter which has taken in so many AIDS patients and volunteer workers, by interviewing his relatives and friends. The Ma Mi’s diary and the interviewees’ narratives sometimes overlap with yet sometimes diverge from each other. Which one is true? Is Ma Mi’s diary the answer to the question or simply possible memoirs? When the disease ceases to be a death threat and patients are no longer a tragic metaphor in literature but return to “the beings,” how they will be presented?
The Possible Memoirs of a Traitor made its premiere at the Experimental Theater in the 2017 TIFA and all tickets were sold out on the first day in the advance sale. Additional five performances at the Wellspring Theater were also completely sold out. With loads of positive responses, the play became sensational and one of the signature productions that year. Playwright CHIEN Li-ying and director Tora HSU join hands again in the revolution of the play and take it from the Experimental Theater to the National Theater to represent various faces of the people in the kingdom of diseases.
Related Articles... Read More
Playwright │ CHIEN Li-Ying
CHIEN Li-Ying, the 2015 NTCH Artist in Residence, is one of the most sought-after playwrights in the younger generation. With works focusing on the gender issue and Taiwan contemporary culture, she is dedicated to writing original texts that belong to Taiwan.
Director │ TORA HSU
Tora HSU, artistic director of 4 CHAIRS THEATRE, obtained MA in Advanced Theatre Practice from the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, UK. His recent works include We are Ghosts and Dress in Code.
- Playwright │ CHIEN Li-ying
- Director │ TORA Hsu
- Producer │ SU Chih-peng
- Dramaturgy │ LEE Ming-chen
- Set Design │ LEE Po-ling
- Video Design │ WANG Cheng-yuan
- Light Design │ HSU Tzu-han
- Costume Design │ LEE Yu-sheng
- Music Design │ KO Chih-hao
- Sound Design │ HONG Yi-jun
- Cast │ WANG Shi-wei, WANG An-chi, WANG Chao-yang, YU Pei-chen, CHU Ding-yi, LIN Tzu-heng, LIN Chia-chi, KAO Ro-shan, TSENG Hsin-yen, YANG Chia-en, LIAO Wei-di, LIAO Yuan-ching, DENG Mingyou, etc.
- Duration: approx. 150 minutes without intermission.
- To avoid disturbing the performers and audiences. Latecomers and those who leaves the middle of the performance will NOT be admitted again.
- 3/1 (Fri.), 3/2 (Sat.): Performed in Mandarin with English subtitles; 3/3 (Sun.): Subtitles for the hearing-impaired audiences are provided.
- This production contains scenes of smoking and special effect of smoke. Audience discretion is advised.
- The age guidance for this production is 12+.
- Post-talk: 3/3(Sun.) at the National Theater after matinee; subtitles for the hearing-impaired audiences are provided.
- Recording Date: Evening show on 3/2 (Sat.).