04/14 (Fri.) 19:30
04/15 (Sat.) 19:30
04/16 (Sun.) 14:30
NT$ 500 700 900 1200 1600 2000 2500
A colorful theater party full of commotions and introspection
‘If Art Is My Lover Then Who The F*** Are You?
After amazing the audiences in Taipei with its classic, Isabella's room, in 2013, Needcompany is to present the unique Taipei version of The Time Between Two Mistakes with Taiwanese dancers in 2017. Jan Lauwers, director of Needcompany, has come all the way to Taiwan and selected 12 Taiwanese dancers, who will join him in presenting an exciting performance. As a commentary on Peter Brook’s masterpiece The Empty Space, the production further introspects on the concept of emptiness. An empty stage never exists as we eventually fill it up with our thoughts, giving it a poetic and philosophical appearance. The roles of audiences and artists have been frequently questioned with the inquiries such as “an artist has to be nice, so you can understand” and “If Art Is My Lover Then Who The F*** Are You?” These discussions make The Time Between Two Mistakes full of enthusiasms and clamors. After its premiere, the production has swept away Austria’s Steirischer Herbst Festival and Berliner Theatertreffen in the past two years, and has won the Sound of MESS Prize in the International Theater Festival MESS Sarajevo.
“A performance, reflection on art, interaction with the audience and even a happening, an unforgettable event” Die Presse, 27 September 2014
Director │ Jan Lauwers & Grace Ellen Barkey
Jan Lauwers, an artist who works in just about every medium, is one of the most important theatre directors and creators in the contemporary world. He studied painting at the Academy of Art in Ghent. Together with the artist and choreographer Grace Ellen Barkey, he founded Needcompany in 1986. Their work operates on the boundary between theatre, dance, performance, and art. Since the very beginning, Needcompany has presented itself as an international, multilingual, innovative and multidisciplinary company.
- Concept: Jan Lauwers & Grace Ellen Barkey
- Musical director: Maarten Seghers
- Performers: Grace Ellen Barkey, Maarten Seghers, Romy Louise Lauwers, Mohamed Toukabri, Jules Beckman, Anneke Bonnema, Hans Petter Dahl, Benoît Gob, Elke Janssens, Mélissa Guérin, Sarah Lutz et al.
- Participants Masterclass: Fang Yu-ting, Wang Wen-lin, Fan Ting-yu, Kao Yung- chieh, Chang Ya-wei, Fangas Nayaw ( Chen Yen-pin), Yeh Huan-jun, Liao Chien-shun, Liou Chun-te, Cheng Hao, Lu Tzu-han, Lai Hao-zhe
- Costumes: Lot Lemm
- Composers: Maarten Seghers, Hans Petter Dahl, Rombout Willems
- Video: Jan Lauwers & Benoît Gob
- Duration: approx. 90 minutes, without intermission.
- Performed in English with Chinese Surtitles.
- Pre-talk: 30 minutes before every performance at the lobby of National Theater.
- Post-talk: 4/16(Sun.) at the lobby of National Theater.
A Needcompany production, coproduced by steirischer herbst.
With the support of the Flemish authorities.