04/02(Sat.)10:30 14:30 19:30
04/03(Sun.)10:30 14:30 19:30
A magical story of a little girl’s journey from the freezing streets to find happiness among the stars
Based on Hans Christian Andersen's classic story, The Little Match Girl, choreographed by acclaimed choreographer Arthur Pita, is a magical dance theatre show for audiences of all ages. It tells the story of the little match girl left out on the streets selling her matches on Christmas Eve whilst other families hurry past to enjoy the festive celebrations in their cosy houses. Lighting her last match to keep herself warm, the little match girl has a vision of her beloved grandmother in the flickering light. Leaving her troubled life behind the little match girl is guided into the night sky by her grandmother who takes her to the moon. There they meet a stranded astronaut and help him to return home. With dance, songs and original music, Pita brings warmth, merriment and a happy ending to the originally sad story.
Choreographer Arthur Pita is one of the UK’s leading dance choreographers and has been commissioned to create work for major dance theatres, such as Sadler’s Wells, The Place, and The Royal Opera House. In 2011, he was commissioned by The Royal Opera House to choreograph an adaptation of Franz Kafka’s The Metamorphosis, which won an Olivier Award, a South Bank Sky Arts Award, and Critics' Circle National Dance Award.
- Director and choreographer: Arthur Pita
- Music composer: Frank Moon
- Designer: Yann Seabra
- Original lighting designer:Ed Yetton
- Performers:Corey Annand,Valentina Golfieri, Karl Fagerlund Brekke, Frank Moon, Nuno Queimado, Angelo Smimmo, Faith Prendergast
- Producer: Matthew Jones and Rebekah Jones
- Commissioned by DanceEast
- Duration: approx. 62 minutes without intermission.
- The age guidance for this production is 5+.
- Partially performed in Italian without surtitles.